Project management can be as simple as arranging a small event to a complex affair that involves creating new businesses, products and services…and to keep those businesses and their products and services going and growing. The following top 30 Web forums for project management (PM) professionals might help you learn more about how the professionals handle small to large projects. Some of the forums, or virtual communities, are generalized and others are specific to a given trade or PM software program.
General PM Forums
- All PM Forum: Register to take part in this discussion among project managers from all over the world. Active forum areas include career and job talk, help topics, software and tools, certification, best practices and methodologies.
- Planning Planet Forum: A popular forum, where the “best planners, schedulers and project controllers network.” Topics include planning, scheduling, programming, forensic claims, risk analysis and resource usage.
- PMForum: PMFORUM is a resource for information on international project management affairs. The PMFORUM supports the development, international cooperation, promotion and advancement of a professional and worldwide project management discipline.
- Project Management Discussion: There is a great deal of depth to this site – both in the forums and in the many other sections of the site. Please take your time, explore, learn, contribute.
- Project Management: Networking, Forum and Jobs: You must join LinkedIn to become a member of this group. Currently, this network contains 410,000+ members, with keywords including training, education, certification, job, career, human resources and more.
- Project Manager Blog: This link leads to the forums site within the blog. You can follow the forums with a group RSS to follow discussions on PM software, project management training and resources for career advancement.
- Project Manager Jobs Forum: Indeed sponsors this forum, which focuses on jobs, interview preparation, resumes and other tips and tools that can help you land a job in this career path.
- Project Managers: This is a community that offers blogs, event calendars, job opportunities and the ability to join groups or to create your own group. These groups replace the usual forum format.
- ProjectsCenter Project Management Forum: You can enter discussions about management software, construction projects, jobs or learn about calls for papers at this broad-range project management forum.
Project Management Communities
- Australian Institute of Project Management: AIPM members can participate in forums and gain access to other member-only areas within this Web site.
- Project Management Club: Join Ecademy for exclusive business networking with other project managers.Ecademy is a membership organization for entrepreneurs and business owners who belong to a community that connects, supports and transacts with one another.
- Project Management Community of Practice: Although you may not be able to participate in this Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) PM community (unless you are an employee), the information gathered by this group is available for anyone to read.
- Project Management Knowledge Base: PMKB is a community of project planners and managers sharing experiences and knowledge. With free registration you can respond to polls upload content, review books or software and gain access to other special features.
- Project Management Professional Community: This is a private members site for project management professionals filled with educational project management materials, news and information.
- Project Risk Management Community of Practice: This group enhances the project risk management practice and its contributions to effective project management by developing a forum for networking, knowledge content and active practitioner engagement.
- Project Times: Project Management Times is a popular online resource dedicated 100 percent to project management. They focus on providing project management education through articles, blogs, white papers, online training, books, jobs and community.
- The ICPM: More of a community than a forum, the International Community for Project Managers is a free collaborative Web presence that provides project management information, resources and the opportunity to meet and network with peers, engage in meaningful discussion and generally keep up with what’s happening in the profession.
Project-Specific PM Forums
- ASAP Methodology and Project Management: Ask your questions and share experiences around the use of the new ASAP Core and Business Add-ons.
- Clarizen Work Management — Community: This link leads to the forums within this site, which is dedicated to project managers who use Clarizen. You also can tap into tutorials, blogs and training through this site.
- Engineering Project Management Forum: if you have project management questions or answers and you are an engineer, this forum may help your quest. The careers range from aeronautic to structural engineers, and topics include methodology, corporate survival and trends and strategies.
- Gantthead.com: This link leads to the forum at Gantthead, the online community for IT project managers. The forum is fairly well populated and filled with queries and answers about projects, risk management, the CAPM exam and other relevant topics.
- IT Project Manager Jobs Forum: Another Indeed forum, specific to IT project managers. Most of the topics concern getting a job rather than job offers.
- Prince 2 IPMF: This International Project Management Forum serves and an interactive open resource to support Prince 2 and project management in general. The portal includes a wide range of facilities, including an FAQ, directory and download area.
- ]project-open[ — Project Management: Join the discussions about project management within the open source community. This forum is sponsored by SourceForge.
- Smarter Tools: Register to participate in forums specific to managing communication tools and statistical Web projects. The forums are active, and the most active topic concerns SmarterMail.
- Tek-Tips Project Management Forum: This link leads to the project management forum under project and data management. The forum is low volume, yet good quality, with great questions and intelligent ideas that could help you with your IT projects.
- Telerik Team Pulse: An interesting view into a team-run forum based upon management of a wide variety of developer tools. The board is active, mainly with general discussions.
- The SAP Fan Club Forums: Sometimes you can meet the very best in your field by visiting the most well respected and utilized tools in the field. Since nearly every project manager uses SAP in some respect, this is a great source of information to visit.
- Webmaster World: Specific to IT, yet this forum site holds tons of information about project management and is filled with individuals who have specific skills. Great networking opportunity.
- WizIQ Project Management Community: This community and its forum is centered on online education and the WizIQ product. Students and teachers can share in dialogue and in the ability to teach and learn online.
One of the most useful skills you can have is the ability to manage projects. If you are able to organize people and resources so that different projects can be accomplished, you can be a valuable resource in a number of situations. Being able to manage people, budgets, materials and other aspects of projects can provide you with a job that can rewarding as well as challenging.
However, as you learn to be a better project manager, it can help to have access to resources that can provide you with information to help you improve your skills as a project manager. The Internet can help you find information on best practices, and help you learn more about time management and about budget management. Find out about various principles related to project management, and how to apply those principles to your work. Here are 20 great sites that project managers can use for reference:
One of the most useful skills you can have is training in project management. Whether you are managing projects for construction, or managing a business project, being able to see how the different parts fit together is important. Someone who can organize tasks so that they are done efficiently and effectively will be in high demand — no matter what happens in the economy.
Technology only improves the ability you have to manage projects. Thanks to gadgets like the Android phone, you can access everything you need right from your pocket. Project managers can use a wide variety of application to help them accomplish great things. Here are 33 useful Android apps for project management:
If you’re seeking ideas for your project management scheme, you probably look at project management blogs on the Internet. We’ve helped you out by scouring the Web to find some of the newest blogs about project management in a wide range of fields such as IT, systems software, consultants and more. The blogs were created on or after October 2009, and some of them are gems. Bookmark them for ideas, resources and solutions. (more…)
If you are a project manager or if you plan to become one — or even if you cannot manage your personal day-to-day tasks — you might require some help from a software system designed to simplify and streamline any project or multiple projects. To help you keep your projects within budget, we’ve gathered a list of the top 25 Open Source project management apps on the market now. “Open Source” means that the apps are free to use, and that you can tweak the code to your advantage if you so desire. (more…)
Project management, knowledge management and other management skills are topping the list of requirements for many project managements jobs today as employers seek individuals who can plan, organize and manage resources. The following list may help you stay on top of these requirements, as the 50 project management blogs listed here are written by the best in the field. To narrow down that field, we included only the blogs that were updated within the last week of March forward. (more…)
One of the up and coming fields of expertise is project management. This is because there is demand for those who can organize and oversee a project, and make sure it gets done. Project management involves a great deal of skill, combining aspects of organizational management, psychology, and communications. Indeed, this combination of skills is one of the reasons that it is possible to make a good living if you are a good project manager.
If you are interested in brushing up your project management skills or learning more about the field, here are 50 free open courseware classes that can help you learn what you need to know as a project manager: (more…)
A project manager is a professional that is related to the field of project management. He generally shares responsibility of the planning, execution, and closing any project associated to field of construction, architecture, computer networking, telecommunications and software development. Below a list for useful resources for project managers is provided.
- Basecamp: It is the top most web based project collaboration tool that is trusted by millions of people and can perform arduous tasks like sharing files, meeting deadlines, assigning tasks, centralized feedback. It daily helps to the world’s most respected brands, small businesses, non profit organizations and entrepreneurs to run their project safely and in cordial manner.
- AMS Consulting: It is a full service management consulting firm that provides consulting, training and assessment of client’s business performance from a project management preview. It provides services into the core sectors and areas like business analysis, business development, professional development and project management. For a long period of time it is serving to fortune 100/500 companies, medium seized business including government departments and agencies.
- APM.org: This organization is running on its basic core and concept of developing and promoting the professional disciplines of project and programme management for the public utility and benefit. It is one type of professional body in Europe having 500 corporate and 17,500 individual members through out the Europe. All topics there are based upon the concept of five Dimensions of Professionalism like breadth, depth, achievement, commitment and accountability.
- Project Magazine: This website is devoted to practical knowledge and learning of project management. The site is not only devoted to general ideas about project management but also provides sequential knowledge to initiating, planning, executing, monitoring & counseling and finally closing a project management. The site’s self improvement center provides learning and ideas about leadership skills, business awareness, time management, personal finance, job seekers, leisure reading, free magazines and white papers.
- Maxwideman: It is a Wideman Education Foundation (“WEF” 2007) that is a registered charity tax-exempt under the Canadian Federal Government Income Tax Act. It organizes project competition to have high school students a basic learning in project management skills and experience. It develops in capable students feeling of teamwork and leadership that benefit both families and communities. Thus it is developing seeds of future project ready workforce.
- PMI.org: It is the world’s one of the leading organization that run on non profit basis for project management professionals and has half a million members and credentials in 185 countries. It is known for wider base and globally recognized standards and practices, extensive research programs and professional development chances and opportunities. Expertise provided at PMI.org plays a greater role in governments, organizations, academia and industries. It also has professional award and PMI Educational foundation to carry out things in radical and in appropriate manner.
- E-Programme: This website is a great help for professional ranging from a wider spectrum from people world wide involved in all sorts of management program. This website caters to almost definitions of project management but is primarily related to management of portfolio of projects which can make a change in organizational routines. Here you would not only learn about project management techniques and tool but can have opinion from a number of sections as provided in the website like Articles, Blogs, Books, Events, Forum, Jobs and profile, etc.
Masters in Project Management degree is one of the things many young people wish to have in life. Good news that you can take this degree course online. This is one of the easiest ways to do it because you don’t have to be there all the time. Once you decide on taking it online, there are several universities based on some facts that you are supposed to consider such as the reputation of the university and the cost of the course. There are several universities that are ranked best in the world. These are places to consider when you think of Masters in Project Management. In this ranking method, there is openness in the market and gullible students may less fall in fake and under qualified university when they have a desire for professional qualifications.
The benefits of ranking
There are several benefits that are associated with ranking of universities. Once the university has been ranked the best, it improves its services day by day so that it remains in the market. There is also the competitive environment whereby the universities tend to improve on the quality of what they offer. They also try to introduce new products and services. Students tend to go for the best since the research that has been conducted in order to come up with the ranks strengthens their quest. They choose the best for the best.
The ranking of masters in project management maintains that published rankings should be viewed with caution for the following because there is a variation in the ranking list where a school may be ranked number two but it appears number twenty in another list. There may also be lack of uniformity. The ranking method may also concentrate on the school itself causing some features to be eliminated. The ranking limits the population size where those with less population tend to be eliminated or ignored where as they offer the best teachings. It has also not been clear on the methodologies. These rankings are sometimes used to manipulate the schools and can be tailored to suit individuals.